Have you made the switch from tap to bottled water? Though bottled water is certainly cleaner than tap, remember that your water cooler can get dirty too. So it’s important to clean your bottled water cooler to ensure that your water always has that amazing fresh taste! Take the time every six months or so to clean your bottled water cooler; it isn’t difficult, and it provides you with the purest water possible. Follow these simple steps for a nice clean bottled water cooler.
- Before starting, make sure your bottled water cooler is unplugged from the outlet.
- First, make a sanitizing solution, which is not as complex as it sounds. You simply add bleach (one tablespoon) to a gallon of water or white vinegar (four ounces) to a quart of water. Keep in mind that if you have a hot/cold water cooler, you do not have to put the solution into the hot tank since the tank’s heat itself is a sufficient sanitizer. In fact, it’s a good idea to block off the hot tank with a small cork or plug, and if you plan on using it right after cleaning, it takes approximately 30 minutes until the water is hot and/or cold.
- After removing the empty bottle from the dispenser, use a sponge – preferably soft – and clean the inside of the cooler reservoir with the solution. Let it stand for approximately two or three minutes but not exceeding five.
- The next step is to drain the solution. The type of bottled water cooler you have determines how you should drain the solution.
- Hot/cold coolers: drain the solution through the cold water faucet.
- Cook/cold coolers: drain the solution through both faucets into a container.
- After you’ve scrubbed it well, rinse the water cooler reservoir a few times (four is a good number) with bottled water or clean tap water. We think three or four gallons of water would be a good amount to rinse with – you can even just put a bottle on the cooler and run three to four gallons through the spigots.
- Remove the drip tray and clean it with a gentle detergent; make sure you rinse it well.
- Before you handle the new bottle, wash your hands (or use disposable gloves) – you don’t want any of that cleaning solution to get into the bottle once you’ve removed the cap. Clean the top and neck of the new bottle with your cleaning solution, using a sponge. A paper towel works fine too.
- Check the expiration date and make sure it’s still good to use, and then place the new bottle on the cooler.
Now you have a nice clean bottled water cooler! Even though it requires many steps, it is actually quite simple to clean your bottled water cooler. It will stay bacteria-free and promote optimal health. By following these simple steps, you can be assured that you are drinking the purest water you can – a clean bottled water cooler can really make a difference! Whether it’s your house or an office, any environment truly benefits from having a bottled water cooler since it provides a constant supply of purified water, and cleaning it (every six months or so) is simple and safe. Keeping your bottled water cooler clean gives you peace of mind that you are getting exactly the water you want and helps maintain the cleanliness of your water. If you want to learn more about bottled water coolers or if your water cooler is clean and you need a new supply of fresh water delivered to your home or office, call one of the top providers of purified water in the southern and West Coast Florida area, Water Boy, today!